1. Although Caroline Gordon was rigorously objective in her journalistic writing, her lively and ______ private correspondence______ a delightful capacity for biting commentary on the social scene.
2. Representing a round world on a flat surface is impossible without some ______: the Mercator projection map shows Greenland as over ten times larger that Mexico, a country in fact only slightly smaller than Greenland.
3. The highly publicized redesign of the car is essentially______: the exterior has been update, but the engine remains unchanged.
4. The ______ with which merchants and landowners in early-nineteenth-century Maryland
and Virginia ______ Joshua Johnston's professional services attests to his artistic skill as a portrait painter.
5. The man's colleagues characterized him as ______ because he had an irritable, quarrelsome disposition.
6. An effective member of debating team must focus clearly on the ______ issue and avoid______ arguments.